Originally Posted By Chattaben
I went on the trip this past weekend and I absolutely positively will be going back into the backcountry again!

Glad you had a good time.

1.) leave you backpack unzipped when you hang it on bear cables b/c the mice will eat a hole in your pack top get the food...now I have to patch it.

I've heard people claim that mice can get to stuff on the bear cables, but I have yet to see it. I suspect some people's stuff is being breached in the shelter before they are hanging it on the cables. At any rate, get a nylon stuff sack or light weight dry bag. Then hang your food in that rather than your pack. Leaving the zippers open is a good idea if you are going to leave your pack out though.

2.) Don't be so pre-occupied with scaring off a bear that comes into the campground that you don't get a good picture of it. I'm really kicking myself about this.

Man, I did the same thing. I could have gotten a picture of a mother bear and cub in the Sierras, but I was to slow on the draw. Some other dude on the trail scared them away before I got my camera out.

5.) My left knee doesn't like going downhill.

Knee pain going down hill is pretty common...especially the older you get. Walking poles will help, and a knee brace may help if you have any of the conditions for which the braces are designed for.

6.) Goretex does not mean water proof.

Well, usually Gore Tex is waterproof. The problem is sweating inside the garment. If you were sweating at all that is probably how you got wet. There's no easy solution for this one. In general I do the following:
-If it's warm I just get wet and dry out at camp
-If it's cool but not cold I wear a sil-nylon poncho
-I only use a jacket if it's cold (typically <50 degress)