Originally Posted By Chattaben
Ok, so first and foremost I would like to thank everyone that replied. All your advice made me the envy of the group when it came to hiking, eating, etc. I went on the trip this past weekend and I absolutely positively will be going back into the backcountry again! I have realized how much fun you can have by being exhausted and hungry. I made a few rookie mistakes but I lived and learned.

Just think how much you'll enjoy it when you get to the point that you don't end up exhausted and hungry!

Glad you had a good trip. smile

Quote:

Lessons learned:

1.) leave you backpack unzipped when you hang it on bear cables b/c the mice will eat a hole in your pack top get the food...now I have to patch it.

Take a bear bag and hang the pack without the food in it.

Quote:
2.) Don't be so pre-occupied with scaring off a bear that comes into the campground that you don't get a good picture of it. I'm really kicking myself about this. It was so close and so big that I would loved to have gotten a picture.

3.) Pick your partners carefully

I'm sure there's a story behind the partner one. I have a few of those too.

Don't kick yourself too hard about the bear - seeing a bear up close makes for a lot of adrenalin, especially the first time. There will be other bears. smile

Quote:
4.) Don't underestimate the temperature difference between 2500 ft and 5500 ft. I woke up at 4:30 am to 40 degree temps in my 40 degree bag...It was chilly but not unbearable.

At least you took the bag. Someone who started a trip with my group at lower elevation decided it wouldn't be cold and left his bag in the car - he ended up in a mylar blanket in 30F temps.

Quote:
5.) My left knee doesn't like going downhill.

Using poles on the uphill and the downhill will do a lot to help a trick knee. My left knee has a similar issue.

Quote:
6.) Goretex does not mean water proof.

Did you perhaps sweat and get damp from inside? I have a waterproof rain shell and sweat too much to wear it while hiking.

http://hikeandbackpack.com