Originally Posted By Chattaben
Ok, so first and foremost I would like to thank everyone that replied. All your advice made me the envy of the group when it came to hiking, eating, etc. I went on the trip this past weekend and I absolutely positively will be going back into the backcountry again! I have realized how much fun you can have by being exhausted and hungry. I made a few rookie mistakes but I lived and learned. Lessons learned:

1.) leave you backpack unzipped when you hang it on bear cables b/c the mice will eat a hole in your pack top get the food...now I have to patch it.

2.) Don't be so pre-occupied with scaring off a bear that comes into the campground that you don't get a good picture of it. I'm really kicking myself about this. It was so close and so big that I would loved to have gotten a picture.

3.) Pick your partners carefully

4.) Don't underestimate the temperature difference between 2500 ft and 5500 ft. I woke up at 4:30 am to 40 degree temps in my 40 degree bag...It was chilly but not unbearable.

5.) My left knee doesn't like going downhill.

6.) Goretex does not mean water proof.

trekking poles should help with #5, and maybe a knee brace.
try an ursack for #1

glad you enjoyed yourself!

shamefully, i've never been backpacking, just car stuff. am training/conditioning for a trip in the winter (texas winter, that is). but i do enjoy car camping with a half-full pack for the time being!