Originally Posted By Chattaben
OK, so I've been reading ALOT of information on getting started into this new hobby (Books, websites, forums, etc)

Let me first applaud you in the you are probably the first newb I have seen that took the time to research things and post specific questions.

Cookware: I have no clue

As others have suggested getting something at Wally World will work fine. You could also consider one of the inexpensive stainless steel pots at REI (like MSR makes). Note that they're gonna be heavier than aluminum though.

Do I need to get/make a footprint?

I personally like using a ground cover primarily just to keep the dirt off my tent. 2 mil plastic (also called painters drop cloth) from your local Lowes or Home Depot cut slightly smaller than the floor of the tent works fine. Also, make sure not to set up your tent up on wash out areas (areas where water runs through in heavy rains) or areas where water pools when you are out. The wash out areas are usually easy to see as there will be debris sitting in a pattern that looks like it "washed up" there. Areas where water pools usually look like shallow dirty depressions.

I don't know what to do about water treatment...?

As you mentioned a filter is pricey. Aqua Mira, Polar Pure or some other chemical treatment as mentioned by others works fine. Just make sure to follow the directions and note that some of the treatments like Aqua Mira take 4 hours to kill some of the nasties. So you'll need to plan your water consumption around that.

I need to get some synthetic clothes, namely pants and a shirt. As far as hiking in the summer in the TN (Cherokee NF and the GSMNP), how should I layer. Do I need long underwear?

Yeah, layering is the best way to go, and using synthetic clothing is a must as it will dry out much faster than cotton. I would check the weather reports before you go on your hike and plan your clothing accordingly noting that the temps at the higher elevations are gonna be cooler than at the lower elevations (i.e. if you check the weather in Gatlinburg for example it's going to be cooler up at 5000').

I have some boots that I broke in but I have an issue with them. When I was fitted for them, they were snug and felt great. Now they are broken in and I can feel my foot slide a bit in both. How can I remedy that other than buying a new expensive pair? Oh, I have one pair of Smartwool socks.

As mentioned by others an insole like Superfeet may help. Also, wearing liner socks under the Smartwools will add some thickness. One other thing to try is different lacing configurations where you try to get your boot snug.

I have also been "training" by doing some day hikes as well as hiking a 2 mile trail almost daily behind my house. I've been on overnights but my first 3 day 2 night loop in the GSMNP is at the end of May. We are going to be doing about 6 miles per day. With the first day being 3000 ft going up in 4.5 miles and the rest of the trip is downhill. Is this too ambitious? Or am I being a fool by over-preparing/over-thinking this whole thing?

You sound to me like you are ready and are doing exactly what you need to do to be ready. Just note that a 3000' climb is gonna be tough, so make sure to take breaks as necessary on the way up.