Originally Posted By MattnID
The point is, in a reply to Phat's post, knowing how to do even the most basic and primitive of things even with better and more efficient technology, doesn't mean people shouldn't know them.

What does this even mean? Your sentence structure gives this English major a headache. Knowing how to do basic stuff doesn't mean people shouldn't know them?

Quote:
I'm pretty sure you missed the point I was making entirely and took it somewhere else. My thinking was of the worst case secnario, such as falling in a river crossing and having to bail on your pack and losing everything because it was either in the pack and wet and useless. You can be prepared as you like with matches, lighters and a magnesium stick, but it doesn't guarantee they're always going to be with you for whatever reason. Knowing how to get along with them is called being prepared as well, something you failed to take into consideration.

Packs falling into rivers is why you keep the 10 essentials with you at all times. Pockets, fanny pack, taping to your leg, whatever it takes - it'll guarantee you have them with you. It's my responsibility to keep myself safe; I do the best that I can. That's all you can ask of people. What you imagine I should know is irrelevant.

http://hikeandbackpack.com