Welcome!

A single-wall tent for a wide variety of weather conditions, from mid-summer heat to wintery snow, is just about impossible.

In no particular order:

WPB fabrics can certainly help, but there aren't a lot to choose among. The best all-around performing fabric is eVent, but you have to look overseas to find a tent made of the stuff. They are available and priced similarly to the Bibler and ID options. The Epic tents by Black Diamond are a nice option for reducing cost, weight and condensation, but they will wet through in heavy downpours, so consider that before buying.

Impermeable single-wall tents rely completely on aggressive ventilation to reduce condensation, but conditions can definitely overwhelm even the best designs. A calm, cold night in a soggy setting will create condensation even on an open tarp. If they're roomy enough to avoid the walls you can live with a certain amount of condensation, but at some point it will actually drip on you unless the walls are quite steep. I like teepee style floorless tents like the old Golite Hex as a versatile and lightweight option.

Double-wall designs have shed some weight, so might still be an option. You might look at Big Sky and their double-wall modular three/four-season tents. You can mix and match poles and flies and other bits to cut weight and increase ventilation in the summer, and go bombproof in the winter. Again, not cheap.

Goretex tents went off the market with enhanced fire-retandant regs. Too bad, that.

Cheers,

Originally Posted By MJD8
Hi Folks,
New to the forum, this is my first post! I am looking to buy a new tent, a 2 person one that is "pretty lightweight." Having said that I don't really have a qualification for lightweight, and I was hoping to find a tent lighter than my current 12 lb old Eureka. I was thinking about single wall tents, particularly the ability to shave off some weight by not needing a fly. The ones that I have been looking at are the Bibler ones that Black Diamond sells as well as the Integral Designs MK1 series, both of which are in my price range. I will be using the tents for 4 seasons, including some trips that will span from hot and dry to cold and wet. My concerns are:

- Condensation: with "waterproof, breathable" materials like ToddTex and TegralTex, is condensation really an issue? I know that physics tells me that condensation will happen under a given set of conditions no matter what, but how broad is that range of conditions?
- Durability: are there any durability concessions that one might make by picking one of these tents over a competitive 2 wall design?
- Why isn't there a Gore-Tex tent out there?

Thanks for your help!

MD

Edited by Rick_D (05/12/09 03:48 PM)