I've recently taken an interest in backpacking and am currently gathering my gear and of course doing all the research I can. The thing with me is I'm not really into backpacking for the backpacking part. My preference is spending a day or two hiking into remote wilderness and setting up a "base camp" where I'll remain for 3-4 days. From the base camp I can fish, day hike, or have little fires by myself. I really want to be alone in the wilderness and really enjoy it and not just walk through it. For me, being able to fish and cook it over a fire or just randomly explore is worth the extra weight. My pack right now is about 28# (food/water not included). But that includes fishing equipment, wood gathering tools and a small coffee maker.

Now, if I ever do actually backpack or thru-hike a trail, most of my weight would get dropped because I wouldn't need those little extras because I wouldn't have the time.

For me, I understand why people go light or UL. Less weight on your back, the more you can enjoy and the faster you can go. But for others it's all about actually enjoying the outdoors and not just being concerned with your speed.

-JD