I would recommend a ground cloth. If it rains you have a better chance of staying dry from underneath.

$40 dollars is a lot of money to drop on a cook set for a sport your not sure you will enjoy. I would stick to a cheap cook set and upgrade if you decide to stick around.

I also bring thermal underwear no mater what. Especially when I'm up here in Maine it can be pretty warm in the day, but get chilly at night (summer). Or in your case, higher elevation.

I have been backpacking/camping/hiking for a while and still do not own a water filter. I always boil it if I take water from somewhere else than a tap. I would go that route if you don't want to drop 75 bucks on one just yet. Idk spending 75 dollars on a water filter seems a bit too much.

Can your boot stop swinging if you wear two pairs of socks? I hike in Teva sandals because they are extremely light weight, and can get wet and dry quickly. I just bring an extra pair of socks for when I bunker down at night.

Edited by GDeadphans (05/04/09 12:00 AM)