Chattaben, good job! It is so rewarding to all of us when a newbie reads and researches before asking their questions. Then they are asking the questions that they REALLY need answers for.

My sister lives in Tennesse. It is generally milder there than here in Virginia, but you can get your share of late season damp and cold, too. Go to Goodwill as suggested and get some synthetics and maybe a light wool sweater. You don't need a whole wardrobe. WD or Lori, I think, once mentioned that your entire complement of clothing both on you and in your pack should be no more than what you would wear all at one time in the worst conditions you anticipate. Not a bad rule of thumb to start with.

Don't know about the tent footprint. I'm a hammocker (long live Endor!). But it sounds like you got a great deal.

Also, as mentioned, try a second hand store for a cheap aluminum cook set.

My shoes are looser now than they were when I first got them, too. My problem really was just sliding into the toebox going downhill. I put gel insoles in them (slightly thicker than what they came with) and I changed from thinner synthetic blend socks to wool ones (I just use the REI brand). No problems now.

Have you considered Craig's List for any remaining gear you need? I just purchased something there for the first time ($300 Sony Digital Reader for $150, brand new) and had really good experience.

You'll tell when you're ready to launch on your next hike, won't you!