Thanks for the warm welcome. I have a better understanding now of the windshirt concept. To me it seems like it would be better to have just a waterproof shell and meet both wind and water protection needs in one garment? As for using my old gear, I am assesing each piece on a case by case basis. I have already picked up a new pack. I was actually fitted for this one and it does make one heck of a difference. My sleeping bag is an old coleman peak one square bag and weighs in at over 5 lbs so that will need to be addressed. I am intrigued by the homemade quilts out there, but have no sewing skills. I would really like more of a sleep system where I could kinda layer an outter bag/quilt with my army issue poncho linner (wooby). I saw the article on the home site where a guy taped together two mylar blankets as an outter bag and that ease of assembly kinda got me thinking that I'd like to have a similar setup, only sewn and with something heavier and less noisy than mylar (also like the square shape as I'm a toss and turn guy). I am interested in trying to lighten up my existing tent by replacing the ground sheet with Tyvek or possibly forgoing the ground sheet altogether. i am constructing a Coke can alcohol stove and fabricating a homemade windscreen. I should be alright on clothing as the Army was kind enough to provide me with all kinds of polypro kit and as I have stated before I am a skiier. Thanks again for your insight and willingness to share!