Dude

hi

I use mostly 10 to 20 year old gear, which I'll admit was expensive at the time, but the point is that the old gear is very serviceable.

We don't carry a lot of the things we used to - just leave it at home. After looking at the info in this site you'll learn as much as you want to knonw - its all there.

You'll want a scale fer sure to weigh each item and one to weigh your finished pack. Anyhow you need to take your old gear and assemble together a new light weight group of your minimum items and weigh them as a group and let us know how much it weighs. Then get out and camp with it and find out what you HAVE to replace. Then look at your pack, tent, etc for items that are a pound or more over what they might be and consider which item will allow you to reduce the total weight the most for the least amount per pound. Like if you have an old german military pound and a half metal WWII canteen (as an example), you could lose a pound by spending between $0 and $25 on a lighter canteen (old Coke bottle?) or bladder. Next maybe the tent, maybe you could buy one 3 pounds lighter for $200, thus a higher rate per pound, but a greater difference. You be the judge. I used to set the limit at $10 per ounce.
Jim crazy