I still don't understand the rationale of cooking veggies in three changes of water. From a nutritional standpoint, what's left? Along with whatever made the veggies inedible, you've removed most of their nutrients. The only time it makes sense is for starchy roots and nuts, since you're after the starch.

On a side note, I never throw out bacon grease. I keep it in a can under the sink. What's it good for? Well, I never pick up animal poop. I just throw a little bacon grease in the microwave for 15 seconds, then pour the warm grease over the poop. It's almost always gone by the morning!

Pika, I think some of the tastiest meat I've ever eaten was during a 4-day survival outing. It was a reward for making a proper deadfall trap. For every working trap you set, the facilitator rolled a die to determine if you "caught" something. When I lifted the rock and saw that little 2-oz chunk of meat covered in crawling ants, my mouth started watering! It's really true that hunger is the best seasoning.