So I happened to be flipping back and forth between the Discovery Channel and NBC when commercials poppped on. Apparently there were no more "Dirty Jobs" on so I pop in at the moment that our good buddy Bear Grylls happens to come into fairly close contact with a brown bear in Romania.

He then commenced to not just doing the wrong thing, but also giving the wrong advice about how to deal with coming into close proximity with a bear.

He saw this bear, kneeled down with the camera guy and started to be quiet, trying to hide from the bear and didn't realize they were that close at that point in time. Of course the bear's path happened to be coming in their general direction, yet instead of doing the smart thing, standing in the open and talking, letting the bear know you're there before it gets to close and you startle it, he continued to try and let the bear not know he was there.

Lucky for him the bear saw movement from someone, smelled somebody close or heard something and promptly made a line paralell to where ol' Bear was hiding.

Here's where it gets even worse. He then decides to tell the audience, the best thing to do with a bear charge is to stand your ground. Not horrible advice, they might be just bluff charging and it isn't like you're going to outrun a bear and no reason to trigger that predator instinct by running. Right?

You'd think so. Bu he then tell the viewer option number 2 for a bear charge is running. What?! He tells you to run, throwing your pack on the ground so the bear will go for the pack because that's where the smell is coming from and that'll divert the bear's attention. That's a nice theory, assuming the bear thinks that the pack is food and the thing running away from it isn't the thing it really would rather eat or attack. So pretty much, he told everyone to do the wrong damn thing.

Now I know this is the wrong advice because I've had my fair share of bear encounters, and every time I stood in plain view, talked and let the bear see me without any sudden movements or anything like that. Everytime they've walked away or ran away and that was the end of that. You don't run away hoping the darn thing goes for your pack instead of you. If anything, you keep your pack on and fall to the ground, face first in a curled up position and hope the bear ends up biting the hell out of your pack and you get away with some inevitable injuries and your life. There's no way you're going to outrun an animal that's faster than a horse. Even climbing a tree doesn't guarantee safety.

Just thought this would solidify some stuff because this is some of the worst advice I've seen him give.