I tend to use few stuff sacks, and none are dry bags. I stuff my sleeping bag into the bottom of my pack, without a sack. It fills in all the space that way, and lets me compact it however I need to so other stuff will fit in. I store each day's food in a gallon-size freezer bag (which turns into a garbage bag as I eat the food.) If critters are going to be a problem, the freezer bags go into a small or medium stuff sack for hanging. (Bears are non-existent where I hike.) If I'm not using the lid on my pack, I'll put all the small items into an organizer or small stuff sack. My pack has two vertical outside pockets on the front (back?), and my tent fits perfectly in them (fly and poles in one, inner tent in the other.) So, I leave those stuff sacks behind, also. I use a "pocket bowl" to dip water for filtering; I fold it around the filter when I'm done, so no stuff sack there, either. My stove and pot go in the mesh sack the pot came in. My poncho is currently in the stuff sack it came in; it could just as easily live sack-less inside the pack, or in the shove-it pocket when wet. Jackets, etc. also stuff into the pack without sacks.

Two things to note: I'm using a poncho, which keeps all the rain away from my pack. If I were using a pack cover, I'd use more stuff sacks since the rain can now get at the back of the pack and pool in the cover - increasing the possibility that it will soak through the pack. The other thing is that I'm taking a calculated risk on stream crossings. Most of the streams I deal with are shallow and not overly fast; I've only taken one serious pack-soaking fall in the last 10 years, and even then I was back on my feet so quick that no water soaked into the pack.

As far as brands, I've used and like the Granite Gear "Air" series of silnylon sacks and pouches, as well as the OR Hydrolite sacks. OR also makes some neat little organizers for first aid and miscellaneous stuff.