Originally Posted By TomD
I definitely recommend www.dpreview.com which Rick mentioned above. They have almost every camera out there on their site with comprehensive reviews and previews of new models show up about every week.

I am not sure what is out there in the way of rugged digital cameras. I have two Nikonos film cameras that are almost indestructible-a 3 and a 4. If Nikon made one of those digital, it would be the perfect camera for a lot of purposes. I used to take my Nikonos 3 on film shoots, because it didn't matter if it got wet or banged around while I was working.

Now you are talking. The Nikonos III is definitely indestructible. It was the last meterless and many people would say, the best Nikonos. A friend of mine acquired one in an estate sale in San Diego for little to nothing. He gave it to me last year, including the original manuals, leather carrying case, and a whole aliminum hard case full of stuff. I'm not sure what I am going to do with it.

I still have one practically unused Nikonos V body. I should have sold it with the rest of them but, I wasn't quiet convinced that digital was the way to go yet. I still remember the days of taking a one week dive trip, shooting 20+ rolls of film because you didn't want to start another dive with less than a full roll, and not having a clue what was on there until after returning home. Finally I was able to get E-6 processing done when I started going on some live-aboard dive boats.

I'm not sure if anyone will make another proprietary Underwater camera again since housings have came so far and are relatively inexpensive. It seems cheaper and better to house a proven high quality camera.