Originally Posted By phat
Hammocks are wonderful for some people, and not so good for others - it's really a personal comfort thing, and some people find them the greatest thing and some definately do not. Trying to convince someone who has tried one and found it wanting is an exercise in religious futitilty.

I'm not trying to convince anyone - like I have said before, I backpack with tent dwellers who see me hanging around, getting a great night's sleep while they toss and turn and complain about not being able to sleep - I'm not about to deprive them of their camping experience by even suggesting they try a hammock. I let them lay in mine if they ask. They hardly ever do. If they don't have a spark of interest it's not my responsibility to try to light the fire.

But when someone is curious about hammocks and thinking they might want to try, I think those of us who have climbed the learning curve should refute the claims that hammocks are *always* uncomfortable, will shape you like a banana, etc. Because it's not *always* true and such issues are fixed easily. In some cases hammocks enable someone to keep going out and enjoying the wilderness - I'm all for that, I like hiking companions who share my level of gimptitude.

http://hikeandbackpack.com