Originally Posted By jpanderson80
That reminds me...

Has anyone experienced any critters while hanging? Mice are always a problem in shelters and I'm wondering if hammock sleepers have any stories?

Mice generally stick to shelters. Getting away from one is the key to avoiding mice. Ants? Much more of a problem with a tarp or tent than a hammock. Truthfully, possums and skunks and occasional bugs are the only issues I've ever had with critters, even on the ground. No problems at all in a hammock.

On a separate note, if you're looking at a long-distance hike (and with the mention of shelters, I'm guessing AT), get yourself a much larger tarp than the diamonds that come with a Hennessy or with ENO hammocks. With an 8' x 10' tarp, (which it sounds like you may already own) you'll have much better protection, more privacy (to change clothes) and a generally better experience.

My one negative experience with a hammock was being in 5 days of rain with a stock fly. Cooking under it is a pain since you keep brushing into the hammock and worrying about an errant flame melting a bit of your bed. For tarps, bigger is generally better for hammocking.