Originally Posted By micale
The aluminum stay is holding packs back? Why do my 2.2 lb packs out-perform your 2.2 lb packs then? Why should I go to a frame sheet design when I outperform you, both in pack weight and performance when I use the lowly aluminum stay? There is much more to a pack than what the frame is made of anyway. I actually went down to REI today to buy GG pack, (I have done that before at various times), and decided once again it was just totally pointless - I did buy some new Garmont boots though. There is absolutely nothing for me to learn from your packs. It's tough to compete with your hype though - that's why you rep them....you are just another salesman. There were countless packs at REI that could do a better job than GG. Even REI had a better light pack. Your insistance that there can be no innovation with aluminum stays is a sad commentary on what you know. Your primary innovation is your hype. I'll give you this, you're a great hypester. In the end, you just have another plastic sheet that's pretty ordinary without the hype. According to you it's magic - but it's just another plastic sheet - especially the one in the Vapor Trail. With your logic, you better hold off on buying a new car because they all still have rubber wheels that need to be inflated with air. What's more, is that GGs fitting system is way off. What you guys call long is medium at the most. Your 'long size' for the Vapor Trail is not even long enough for my short torso and with lift straps that go to nothing solid.....like I said, no reason to buy something when it won't fit to start with. I hate to think of all the people out there trying to convince themselves they are having a good time ( this is when you unleash your army of internet shills - on your mark....get set....start typing, tell us how great the magical Vapor trail or Nozone is). They are not even that light for what they do.

Then to top it off you have to knock the cottage industry because it does not have the resources to compete with the mighty GG. If that's the best GG can do with their resources, they really should go back to the drawing board, raise their standards of comfort, and quit relying on shills like you to make mediocre products sound sensational.

If I were you, I would do the best I could to promote the product without getting into subjects you know nothing about. Any problems aluminum stay packs may have had in the past were generally not because of the aluminum stays but because of other aspects of pack design. Then there are good and bad aluminums. There is dogdo screen door aluminum and then there is Aerospace structural aluminum. Heck some pack companies did not even polish their stay ends but dipped them in vinyl instead, only to have the vinyl slip off and plug the frame tubes!

To just sterotype 'aluminum stays' like you do is a stupid thing to do and can only backfire on your company like it is right now.
Wow! You sound like your passionate about aluminum stays. Great! What I hear is that you have completely given up on any real innovation so your going to bag on companies who are trying to get out of the "aluminum stay" rut.

Instead of giving up and making it sound like you have all of life's problems answered, why not make an effort to add real innovation. You can cry and nash your teeth all you want. I have lost total respect for you and your packs. I could care less how you feel about Granite Gear...

Your claim that the Vapor Trail uses a plastic HDPE frame sheet is correct. In my previous posts I wasn't even talking about the Vapor Trail! I actually was describing the NIMBUS OZONE PACK that uses the TOPOFLEX FRAME SHEET. Is that clear enough? This pack, NOT THE VAPOR TRAIL, uses a 3-D molded composite framesheet, and, no it isn't cheap 'plastic', but a composite thermoplastic which is 3 times the expense of an aerospace aluminum stay/HDPE sheet set-up. I would get my facts straight before spewing your hate.

You claim I don't know what I'm talking about, but you clearly are clueless. You live in your own little world and believe you have claim on the only pack design that really works. You truly believe that no one can hold a candle to your ideas. How ridiculous is that! Your arrogance is nauseating! You need to come up for air...

I'm not the only one screaming for true innovation. The aluminum stay has been around for 30+ years! That's all we can ever expect? There is nothing else on the horizon? I give a huge amount of credit to companies like Granite Gear who think that there's possibly a better way. By you foaming at the mouth, screaming that anyone who tries anything different are morons shows that you want to stifle innovation and out-of-the-box thinking. Shame on you!

Threat? You think Granite Gear is threatened by any pack company? You think I comment because I feel threatened? You obviously haven't read many of the posts by many of the posters concerning Granite Gear on this forum, have you? Why can't I call out the fact that innovation is what drives our passion?

I don't do this to sell packs, I assure you. My intent is not to make sales here. I enjoy expressing my opinion and that's all. I throw out ideas, just like everyone else based on my experience and knowledge base, and people can make up their own minds. I have a unique perspective in that I know intimately how Granite Gear packs are supposed to perform and why they do what they do. Again, your arrogance is seething out of your pores! Get a grip...

And finally, I was expressing an opinion, that's all. You have taken total offense to this which exposes your shallow character. I'm sorry for anyone who has to deal with you and your attitude. I've read several of your posts, and if folks don't completely agree with you, you lynch them and and put them down to build you up. Great...I'm not going to be a party of that.

This is the last time I will respond to your vitriol comments. Moderators???