Originally Posted By micale
Jasonlivy; I've been watching you knock aluminum stay packs for quite awhile now. If what you say is true it would be different - but it's not true. At the same time that you exaggerate what your pack can do you have to tear down other packs. I'm tired of it. 50 lbs my foot! And, what I mean by 'your pack' is that I believe you rep them. You must be desperate to have to exxagerate so much.
I will say that the aluminum stay is the one thing that is holding packs back. You know what I'm tired of? I'm tired of seeing the same old technology wrapped in a different colored wrapping. Why, with all of the amazing innovations we've experience the past 30 years, do we have to make packs with aluminum stays and a plastic frame sheet? For someone in the cottage industry, it makes sense because to work with composites is extremely expensive and time consuming. However I believe that there are materials superior to aluminum that have attributes that allow the user to be far more comfortable and have a better fit than simply bending stays.

I'm not smart enough to do it, and I can appreciate those who have taken the aluminum stay to where it is now. There are a few comfortable packs that use aluminum stays, but can't we figure out a better way (ie. lighter, won't bend accidently, various flex points for body movement but maintain rigidity, doesn't allow for gaps, more square inch coverage to the back, no big lumbar pad)? Is there a better way? There is always a better way. Why can't we figure it out and bring true innovation to packs?

The reason I PERSONALLY BELIEVE (notice it's my own opinion) that Granite Gear's composite framesheet is superior is due to the 3 zones of flex. The zones allow for complete movement with the pack when bending and twisting, but also maintains the load very well. The framesheet is nearly indestructible unlike an aluminum stay (bend and twist a GGR Composite Frame sheet, even in half, and it will return to it's original shape) and can be made lighter due to the fact that in order to optimize comfort using stays you need several components. I love the fact that when you pull the load lifters, shoulder straps, and waistbelt you get an almost perfect fit (as long as the torso length is correct). Every GGR pack that uses their framesheet that I've tried on and the torso adjustment is fitted to me, I've experienced 100% of the backpanel (every square inch) conforming to my back. I have never experienced this with an aluminum stay pack. I know you pride yourself on making sure the pack fits your customers perfect which is admirable. That is how it should be. How well a pack fits is paramount to how comfortable it is. Granite Gear has done this without the total customization required using their unique composite framesheet. I highly doubt you agree with me. wink

I've carried a Nimbus Ozone with up to 50lbs (this is it's limit) several times over the past few years and it managed the load well every time. You can throw attitude around all you want, but BASED ON MY PERSONAL EXPERIENCE and those who've I've packed with, this has been the case.

Notice I never put down any pack company. The fact you use aluminum stays means you think it works, and that's great. Who am I to tell you different? I'm sharing my experience and I would like others to think outside the box. And, yes, I am a rep (read my profile), but I'm also an avid backpacker who loves innovation.