Originally Posted By Mumblez

I always thought it would be great to take an ultralight waterproof roll-top stuff sack and attach a nice sturdy harness to it. The most I might need besides the one large compartment would be two water bottle pockets on the side and maybe a small outside pocket for essentials.

I really want a pack that can handle 30-40 lbs. but still weigh 3 lbs. or less. I think this could be done if they keep the main bag simple, focusing most of the weight of the bag in the suspension.

What do you think?

This is the Nimbus Ozone. I have a Gossamer Gear that will do up to 28 lbs comfortably; the Nimbus hardly feels like it's there, and meets my prescreening qualifications for a good pack: swappable hip belt and shoulder straps, adjustable, carries the weight where it ought to be carried, and expandable to add those extra couple of pounds as needed.

I wanted to like Osprey, but they are heavy for what they are, and I always had a hip ache. The Ozone weighs 3 lbs and carries more weight comfortably than the Osprey did.

http://hikeandbackpack.com