To answer some of the questions raised.

How do I change clothes? My typical routine is to use the hammock as a chair and stand/sit under my tarp as I change. The hammock as a chair makes the process much easier than when I used to have to crouch or lie down in a tent. I used to stand on my pack but have gotten more comfortable doing the 1 foot/leg at a time thing so I don't need to anymore. It is hard to describe, so think about how you can use a chair to facilitate the process instead of trying to balance on one leg.

Staying warm? At first I thought it would be more of a challenge. The popular theing now is underquilts as they are lighter and less bulky than pads, but they are expensive and do not work as well into the very cold. I use a ccf in concert with my poncho rigged as a "taco" (google "garlington insulator" for more info). I keep a small sit pad in the hammock as well to strategically place if needed. The other weekend I slept in my hammock and the nighttime temp was -7*F and I was plenty warm.

No trees? sleep on the ground under the tarp like the tarpers who don't have a hammock. A hammocker can go to ground if necessary, a tarper cannot just go to the trees.

An added benefit I forgot to add earlier is since one is sleeping higher above the ground, the tarp apex can be higher which allows one to stand underneath it as compared to when I use a tarp and sleep on the ground. This makes the clothes changing much easier.

dT