My wife and I love our hammocks. We're both side-sleepers and have no problems. Sleep diagonally in the hammock and you can lay nice and flat.

We can stop about anywhere, and where we hike it's all wooded, so we really can stop about anywhere. The ground doesn't have to be flat, cleared or dry. We hang above it all.

It doesn't take long to hang everything (tarps, bugnets and hammocks), so we can be set up or packed in a matter of minutes. After some practice it's little enough trouble that we changed sites twice one night because we found ones we liked better during further exploration after supper.

Our hammock setups weigh less than our tent, though more than just a tarp would. We've slept in them in about 30 degrees F and were comfy and warm. We've also slept in our tent in about 30 degrees and were not nearly as comfortable.

I made our gear, and greatly enjoyed doing so. I know that is part of the enjoyment for me. A couple of hours and I had a great piece of gear that will last for some time. As college students, we just don't have the money to spend on buying gear (especially two sets!) so until we do, DIY it is.