Originally Posted By Eric
I have 2 issues with hammocks. Even with an under quilt a hammock is a cold bed.

that may be your experience, but hardly representative of all hammocks everywhere. If it were true there are hundreds of people spending hundreds of dollars on making and buying useless underquilts. Sorry to hear you couldn't get yours to work right.

I'm not about to promise you a hammock can go anywhere and still hang. But many can be used as a bivy, and there are other places to hang from when there are no trees. Generally, you are limited only by your own willingness to try new things and buy new gear.

this is not meant to be an attack on you personally, but to provide information you don't have. I do not believe hammocks are the ultimate solution in the outdoors, just that they are more versatile and comfortable than some here believe they are. People use what they are comfortable using, pretty much, and I think that a hammock is sometimes more of a challenge than people want to face. I understand not wanting to keep trying when something doesn't work the first time, but that approach doesn't always work with hammocks.

I would rather be off the ground than on, as I have been warmer, more able to walk the next day and have slept sounder and longer than I ever could in the tent. YMMV.

http://hikeandbackpack.com