I will add my two cents to this thread. What I wear depends a lot on the conditions I anticipate. I don't do the winter camping, though, so 30F is about the coldest weather I tend to encounter.

I like both wool and synthetic for base layer. When I expect warm weather, I really like Patagonia's capilene 1 (silkweight). The capilene with their "Gladiodor" treatment works really well. For cooler weather, I've become a fan of merino wool. When it gets down around freezing, I add a mid layer of insulation. A base of midweight Smartwool top and bottom I have found to be extremely versatile.

I've tried a lot of different wind layers, I think I've finally settled on one that meets all of my needs. It is the Patagonia Traverse (formerly called Cold Track Light). I have both the tights and the jacket. It does a great job of blocking the wind (but still breathes well) and sheds light precip. The best feature to me, though, is the mechanical stretch. It fits well even over a double layer of merino and does not restrict movement (I can swing a golf club).

When it gets cold, I like to add some pile insulation over the wind layer. Especially when I stop moving. I picked up a Patagonia Micro Puff pullover on clearance and my most recent purchase is a pair of OR Neoplume pants ($100 from Campmor). I haven't used the pants yet, but they'll be in my pack for my next autumn trip.

The last layer is my rain layer. I have a pair of Marmot Precip pants, an older Patagonia pullover, and a Westcomb Event jacket. The only place these have gotten much use is the golf course. I've been pretty fortunate, my last several hiking trips the only precip I've encountered has been snow.

On my head, I have settled on an OR Peruvian Windstopper hat. It is pretty lightweight and has a chin strap. I have a merino wool beanie that fits under it for colder weather. I also use a neck gaiter, the best one I have found is Cloudveil's Powerstretch gaiter.

Gloves and mittens is an entire subject by itself...