1. Safety mesh. Leaving your gear unattended is not safe. The mesh won't slow anyone up much.

2. Whether it is safe to camp depends on the country - and sometimes the area of the country - and may change daily. As for hotels and hostels, small, valuable items are not safe if left unattended anywhere.

3. Just about anywhere in Europe is safe as houses. Latin America - it depends on both the situation and on you. I've camped in northern Mexico a good bit. But I wouldn't recommend it for anyone who cannot communicate or who is uncomfortable with danger or violence. If you are comfortable with it, dangerous folks recognize it and move on. If not, you are prey. As for stories, I will just say that I've found the campesinos to be friendly and helpful. It's just that you can run into other people who are neither.

4. Top dollar gear marks you as a mark. Grubby, cheap gear makes you less visible. Learn how to carry money and passports securely on your clothing at all times. Inside carry pockets are good as long as you are not seen fishing around in them.

5. Touristy places attract predators. It's safer off the beaten track - as long as the reason it is not beaten is not because of bandit activity, an illegal economy or guerrilla warfare.

Edited by Spock (02/05/09 08:20 PM)