Hello all,
This is my first post at Backcountry Forum, and I'm excited to be in the community! I realize that a topic similar to this one has been posted, but I'm looking for advice with specific situations.

My girlfriend and I would like to plan a backpacking trip overseas (havn't yet decided where; have been considering Peru). I've only traveled abroad twice before, and have very little experience securing my possessions. I was hoping for a little advice with the following:

1. Is steel security mesh worth the money? For those who don't know, this is a steel-wire mesh that wraps around your bag and can then be secured to a stationary object (see http://www.rei.com/product/709208). It's rather expensive, and I don't want to buy it unless it'll be worth the money.

2. Is it safer to stay in a hostel or hotel in a foreign country (where valuables can be locked away) and hike during the day, or is it safe enough to bring a tent and plan to camp for most of the trip? Has anyone tried either or both of these kinds of trips?

3. Can anyone recommend countries that offer interesting backpacking and hiking opportunities that are mostly friendly to Americans?

I realize that the answers to my questions are going to depend greatly on the country of excursion. I'm hoping to get personal stories from people who've traveled abroad in this capacity, and can share from experience things they wish they had (or had not) done. Any input is appriciated. Thanks so much!