I thoroughly enjoyed Jason's "free gear" video. As always, he presented some great ideas in saving weight and money. This may not be for everyone, nor would these ideas be utilized each and every time a person goes backpacking. To me, that's the beauty behind going UL. You don't always use the same kit. You make it fit the situations that you expect to encounter on the trail at that specific time and place. For instance, if its summer and no rain chances, you leave the raingear at home. You don't have to go prepared for every possible situation. What UL hikers learn is that you can do more with less and use the best piece of equipment that you can take on any backpacking trip, YOUR BRAIN.
As far as UL equipment being less durable, I take exception with this notion. Sure, the material that UL equipment is made of is lighter and won't stand up to excessive abuse, but it will stand up to NORMAL wear and tear quite well if you treat it with normal care. Again, you take the equipment necessary for the situation at hand.
Oz