Originally Posted By Jimshaw
Jason

I found your video very entertaining, but like I said - I didn't really understand the message. If I hear you correctly, you are saying that if you are really careful, that you can use very fragile gear for a while and that its worth it to save weight. You also stated that ounces add up to pounds, but even my Ti cup with its insulating jacket and both Ti spoon and fork, weigh 2.85 oz.

My point is that interms of reliability and service my 2.85 oz will outlast your .85 ounces by 50 times. I did forget my coffee cup on a 4 day trip and I had to drink out of a used black bean soup cup. It was disgusting, worth going home over.

However I have to question a camping method that relies on fragile consumeable camping gear for its existence. Although I know it is in vouge for many and may be just fine for a warm summer trip in the midwest.

My long term gripe about the UL movemenmt is that it relies on unreliable gear. Clothes that would shred in a lot of camping environments and inadequate protection from weather. Many peops think sandals, tevas and old tennis shoes are appropriate on the trail, until they break an ankle I guess.

Jim YMMV crazy

Jim

Hey Jim,
I have never said that every single idea I've come up with works in every situation, in every condition, in every location. But for some reason, people take it that way. People email me from Alaska saying that the tea light stove doesn't work because it was 15 below, windy and snowing. OF COURSE NOT! And in those conditions, I would take a white gas stove. Why does everyone assume that just because I put forth an idea that I think it's the be all, end all for every situation and that's the thing I always use? I never take the same gear all the time--I adapt it to different situations. Why can't people get it that we're all just sharing ideas here, things are NOT set in stone, and that all of us are going through a constant evolution in what we carry? Take it or leave it. But just don't assume that simply because I mention an idea in a video that that's my typical MO. I'm not limited to that. I put it out there for others who might benefit from it.

Edited by jasonklass (02/01/09 08:21 PM)

Backpack Flyfishing Tight lines,light packs