Hey guys,
Thanks for all of your comments. Geez, what the heck are you guys doing with your sporks? Using them as tent stakes? eek

Most UL gear is less durable than the heavyweight stuff at REI and this is a sacrifice UL backpackers accept in order to lighten up. Sure, a titanium spork is light, but small things add up. The mug, the spork, the cook pot, the pack cover, etc. Ounces soon turn into pounds! So, if you want to truly lighten up, you have to be a little more careful with your gear. I've used a styrofoam cup a LOT and have never stepped on one, split one from heat, etc. I just stow it in my cookpot and it's protected.

As for "stealing" salt packs and condiments, I'm not advocating people clean out McDonald's every time they go and build an inventory at home that is going to cause them to raise prices. I just take an extra few--just enough for my next trip when I think about it. If you claim this is stealing, then you're stealing every time you use a McDonald's or gas station bathroom without buying anything. You're using their water, soap, paper towels, toilet paper, electricity, etc.

Anyway, the video was merely a suggestion of how to get some free stuff if you wanted and are not morally opposed to the idea. I'm not advocating everyone do this all the time; and certainly if you're ethically opposed to it, then don't do it. Don't take this too literally or to the extreme guys: I was just putting the idea out there for those who might find it useful. wink

P.S. If you check out my blog, you'll see a new video on the Gossamer Gear Light Trek 4 trekking poles.

Edited by jasonklass (02/01/09 06:21 PM)

Backpack Flyfishing Tight lines,light packs