I wandered into a large outdoor store yesterday evening. Let's call it "Big Fish". It was a great store, with friendly sales associates, more fishing bait than I knew existed, and the "look and feel" of the outdoors. My wife and I had been in a Big Fish in Nashville, TN, but this one was laid out and decorated differently than I remembered seeing before.

After looking through the clothing section, vainly searching for hiking socks, we made our way upstairs to the camping section. We zig-zagged up and down the aisles, looking at camp stoves, sleeping bags, and even a fairly wide selection of dehydrated and/or freeze-dried food.

Now, I am a newbie at all of this "backpacking stuff". I am even newer to the idea of lightweight backpacking. I carried around 50lbs for an overnighter my first time out. My wife and I are both still in college, so my budget-bought equipment isn't as light -- or as cool -- as others' gear. For instance, my pack is a hand-me-down ALICE rucksack on an aluminum frame, and it weighs in at around 7 pounds. So, although I really like the idea of ultralight backpacking, I haven't got the gear to really call myself ultralight.

As I was perusing the shelves of camping gear at Big Fish, I realized something: I could purchase any amount of this stuff and end up less happy than I am now. Sure, my backpack is heavy and out of date. Maybe my Coleman canister stove is bulky and heavy. Perhaps I don't have the latest fleece jacket or down mummy bag or bivy sack. The question is, am I using the gear I do have to get the most enjoyment from exploring the Great Outdoors?

I am one of these types of people who has to have the latest and greatest. Up until recently, that trait manifested itself most in books and computers. I have resisted the urge to go and spend my hard-earned (and much needed) money on a kit that I will use once or twice and then never look at again.

Eventually, I want to trade my two-man 3-season tent for a homemade hammock. I want to get rid of the army pack and get an ultralight internal frame. I want to trade my camp stove for one that is cheaper to use and lighter to carry. Some of these things will happen sooner than others. Until then, I am enjoying the wilderness, making memories and taking pictures. Someday, I will have children, and I hope to be able to share this with them as well.

I guess the point of all of this is to say that, when I am out in the wilderness, the equipment fades into the background and I focus on far deeper issues. As long as I pack intelligently, and use the gear I do have as best I can, it doesn't matter if my pack weighs 5 pounds or 25.

What is your viewpoint?