I find it alot harder to use a small hobo stove or even a Kelly Kettle when its -20F. A regular sized bic is alot easier to flick and you can flick it a few more times before you have to rewarm it and your hands. The main problem though is fuel. When its that cold everything is snappy and so your not sure what is dry and what is just wet and frozen, especially in the dark. Spruce sticks dead on the tree, and Paper Birch Bark are always safe bets, but not always available, especially when its dark, and even when they are they can sometimes have ice in them in winter.

For winter I think a large hobo stove is needed, or you need to go to a small campfire, or maybe use something like an esbit tab as a kicker. I don't normally like the idea of carrying fuel when I can burn wood, but I think a few kickers for special occassions are a good idea in winter. I've also learned to always carry enough good fuel for the next fire. It's just a hobo stove or kelly kettle full, not alot. I might also get into the habit of drying it or even charring it for the next fire, after I've made had my dinner and tea and dried by mitts and socks.