Sabre, the reason for weighing each item is to record its weight on a spreadsheet gear list. With a spreadsheet and accurate weight for each item, I can immediately see the effect of each item on total weight (whether base weight, total weight, skin-out weight, or whatever). The total pack weight should be the same as the total I come up with on myr bathroom scale. If not, my spreadsheet is out of whack and needs revision.

With the spreadsheet, I can immediately determine the effect on weight (whatever category) of any item I want to add or subtract. This information is extremely useful when I'm tempted to purchase a new gear item. Once I see the purchase price per ounces saved, I may save a lot of money!

I also print out the spreadsheet before each trip as a checklist, so I don't forget anything. After each trip, I evaluate to see what I can omit or what I should add.

This system allows me to fine-tune my weight as well as make sure that I don't get a few days away from the trailhead without an important item, whether camera, stove, bandaids, or an insulating layer when the weather turns bad! Without such a list, I've forgotten such important items as hiking shoes, hiking clothing (when the trip wasn't started from home), camera and a light source. I find the checklist invaluable.

Edited by OregonMouse (01/22/09 04:43 AM)