While I usually take my normal home-dehydrated food a la freezer-bag cooking (thank you, Sarbar!) for a night or two, there's no reason not to take whatever you want! The reason I take the same stuff on an overnighter that I would take for long trips is simply to test it. I also have a great aversion to washing dishes. If testing meals for longer trips or avoiding dishwashing is not an issue, there's no reason for avoiding whatever you want. Steak and salad with fresh (preferably vine-ripe) tomatoes sounds yummier the longer I think about it! If I think about it long enough, I will ignore my dislike of washing dishes!

Actually, it's better to test one home-dried meal at home before drying more than one meal or heading for the backcountry with it. A combination that sounds good in theory may turn out to be horrible in practice. From bitter experience, I wouldn't eat anything in the backcountry (except fresh trout) that I haven't already tried out at home.

Edited by OregonMouse (01/22/09 03:45 AM)