Okay, I've just spent an hour filtering :P through hundred of posts on what water filter to get and I'm TOTALLY confused now. I'd narrowed it down to an MSR product; either a HyperFlow or a Sweetwater. Now I've read about the First Need filters and they seem pretty nice as well.

I've never filtered pond or stream water so I really am at a loss for the best filter. Basically, growing up on a farm I'm used to some VERY good water. Chlorine or any other contaminate really stands out to me, hence my lean towards a carbon type filter. I'm planning on a trip this spring (first with the family) and would like to be able to filter/obtain good tasting clean water from whatever source is available. I'd also like to have a filter on hand if ever an emergency situation arose at home some some longevity is a slight factor. I'm definitely not a minimalist so having the absolute smallest, lightest out there is not a concern either. I'm looking for the best product I can use to throw a tube in a source and get great water in a bottle...from real world users.

Thanks everybody!