That is a fair answer, however I'd like to add an additional $.02 about mountaineering. Hiking and mountaineering are two distinct pursuits. There may be some crossover in equipment, but location and tools needed for those locations are quite different. Traditional lightweight style (leather and fabric) hiking boots are not appropriate footwear for mountaineering conditions, and even with hinged crampons that allow bend in yoru walk, hiking with crampons will be a pain in the @$$. When you're hiking in winter you will either need floatation or traction, both of which can be achieved with snowshoes or ice cleats. Crampons, when hiking, would definitely be a case of too much of a good thing being very bad indeed.

I totally understand the desire to build up your equipment supply by building on what you already have, but as both a hiker and someone who has learned mountaineering techniques, I strongly recommend you keep your foot gear unique to the pursuit. If you want to purchase gear you'll be able to use as you get more into mountaineering, look at the MSR snowshoes. I think you'll find that to be a good compromise.

MNS