I will assume that because neither you or your wife have mountaineering boots you also lack mountaineering experience. If this is the case, don't get mountaineering crampons for what appears, to me, to be use on trails or snow; learn to kick steps instead. If you anticipate stretches of hard icy trail, consider instep crampons or ice creepers. Don't get front point crampons for trail work; they are intended for much higher angle work than you are likely to see and, in general, can cause more problems than they solve.

If you have no experience and training with full-boot, hinged mountaineering crampons, you can get badly hurt or even dead. At the very least, you could be prone to ankle injury from self-spiking yourself. A worst case would be sliding down a snow or ice slope into a pile of rocks from incorrect technique. If you choose to go ahead with the full-boot crampons, be sure to practice with them, a lot, on gentle slopes before you find yourself really needing them. During the practice sessions you will find yourself stumbling over the spikes and kicking yourself in the back of the ankle a lot. It is the ankle kicking that has me recommending against front point crampons.

To me, crampons would be an equipment item purchased after I had bought a good pair of mountaineering boots, a good rope and ice axe and had acquired the ability to competently and knowledgeably use all of them.

Finally, you would be amazed at how much colder your feet get once you put on crampons.