thanks To use a cliche, I'm glad I made a difference. There are a couple older pages laying around the web that compare brands...I'm pretty sure Backpacker.com has one. The important characteristics to consider are the percentage of active ingredients, the spray distance, and especially the time of spray the canister is capable of. This is dated but worthwhile, http://www.absc.usgs.gov/research/brownbears/pepperspray/pepperspray.htm

There are sprays that are EPA 'registered' but only a couple (because the rest don't meet standards). I think one of the 'approved' brands is UDAP...I know the other is CounterAssault which is the one I carry in a holster just like phat shows in this thread. Mine is usually worn on my belt although I have a pair of trail pants that have front slash pockets that make it comfortable to carry the canister there. The key is to have it readily available. The father and daughter mauled in Glacier two or three years ago had spray...initially packed in a pack and then knocked away after the delay in getting to it...

The timing of your trip matches up with REI's Spring sale, usually in March I think. You can usually get CounterAssault discounted about 20% then. They carry the holsters too. FYI, CounterAssault comes in two sizes. The difference, besides weight, is in spray time. If I was going to be in the back country for an extended time (more than a day's hike out?) I'd carry the larger size or more than one of the smaller. It's fine to spray a bear and rejoice that you had the spray and it worked. But you want enough with you in case you run into that bear again or another one later on...

BTW, bear spray is not the same spray that is used for self-defense against people...or dogs or other threats lesser than grizzlies. Nor will those sprays be effective against the griz.

I agree about the country you're talking about. I'm just outside of Missoula...sort of mid-way between Glacier and Yellowstone. The region, and its wildlife is special to me in case you couldn't tell and it's why I moved here 11 years ago.

FB