Overall I am very, very happy with my gear and clothes system, but in December 2008 I finally decided to work on the most obvious opportunity I've got: my backpack.

I've been using a heavily-modified no-name internal frame pack that weighs 4 lbs. with the framesheet and stay inserted (and they almost always are). I saw a GoLite Quest pack (size: L) on sale at REI, with a special coupon offer at the same time that let me buy it for $109. When it arrived I made a few modifications to cut off excess strap length and such. It now weighs 3 lbs. 2 oz., saving me nearly a pound.

I was feeling flush, so I made another purchase of an REI Flash Kilo sleeping bag, rated +45 degrees, on closeout. I will use it when my REI Sub-Kilo, rated +20, is too warm. On those occasions substituting the lighter bag will save me 3/4 lb.

This splash was my big gear purchase for probably the next 3 years. Until then, I will chip away at smaller weight improvements, as I do each winter. I can hardly wait to get out there and try them out on a nice long trail somewhere.