I am willing to hike in some pretty deep stuff, just my hiking opportunities with groups haven't surfaced with that stuff yet. I guess I'd switch to snowshoes and 'float' on top of the snow if it got too deep.

The gaitors I pictured aren't necessarily the ones I picked. I put up their pictures because of the way they secure under the foot. I agree, I'd be going to calf length gaitors if I pick some up.

With any gaitors...I'm not sure why you'd have to unlace the bottoms to get them off/on. Wouldn't you just un-velcro them and slip them off the back of your heel, leaving the laces tied?

W/ regards to the boots I was wearing, the top of them dug into the outside of my leg about 1/5 inches north of the center of my outside ankle bone if that makes any sense. Perhaps shin wasn't the right word?

Hrmm..I guess I'm getting stuck between two hikes. One is the very easy goin trail hike where I think I'm gunna try some trainers and sealskins and calf gaitors. Then it seems like there are more involved hikes with some nasty fluffy snow where those overshoes look the business...hrmmm. I wonder how heavy the overboots are? If I'm hiking a couple of miles a heavy overboot could suck.

As for the socks, they are your run of the mill wool blend heavy weight winter hiking socks. They do look bunched up in the photo, but I generally like to pull my socks up real right b4 I lace them up (years of being a picky soccer player). Perhaps it's just the state of the socks after a flung the boots off, hehe.

Thanks for the help thus far!