I just started backpacking again after a 15 year absence. My first backpack of 2008 was in January. I carried about 35 pounds...gear I used back in the 90's. I am currently only going out for a night or two at a time.

I am now down to about 22 pounds in the winter and about 18 in the summer. I did spend a bit though...

-Walmart tent to Tarptent Rainbow
-old Camp Trails internal frame to Granite Gear Vapor Ki
-Hiker Pro water filter to tablets
-Kelty 35 degree synthetic bag to Montbell 30 degree down bag **this is the coolest piece of gear I love the Super Stretch fabric...no more feeling like a burrito!!!
-cotton long johns to Smartwool base layer
-old Thermarest 3/4 length to Big Agnes full length...I think I still shaved an ounce to two off my weight and added alot of comfort
-heavy MSR stove to homemade alcohol stove (though I will admit to using my Jetboil this winter)

These are the big changes I pretty much bought a new item every month or so. I still have to get better rain gear and a few clothing pieces but I'm fairly happy with my changes so far. Of course new items are tempting me to shave ounces here and there.

I've been out at least once a month all year long so I have been able to really tell the difference from one trip to the next as my items got lighter or more comfortable. I am now a UL convert and hope to get my base weight down to 15 pounds this year.

Millette