I went both ways on the weight this year--I added some and subtracted some. However, even with the additions, I potentially will drop two pounds from my base weight and about 1 1/2 pounds from my skin-out weight, even with the additions.

First addition: a 10.5 oz. brick in the shape of an ACR Microfix personal locator beacon. My family and friends have been on my case for some time because I normally hike alone (really with my dog Hysson, but he wouldn't be much help if I got messed up). Most of the time I'm on populated trails, but I do get off in some more isolated places, especially since I prefer isolated camping spots well away from popular areas, sometimes as much as a mile off-trail. I'm also taking longer trips (as I lighten up more) and doing some easy off-trail hiking. What really persuaded me to blow the money for the PLB was reading Wandering Daisy's Wind Rivers trip reports, which she repeated in the ongoing solo hiking thread:
Quote:
We went over a pass this summer only feet away from a fellow who died up there. It is a loose boulder field and he dislodged a rock that pinned him down. He was 50 feet from a lake and but could not get to water....This is a really remote area and only a handfull of people even get in the general area each year. He wrote a journal as he died of dehydration. It was 7 days before anyone knew he was in trouble.
At least my friends and family are happier!

I also added back a heavier tent this fall (the Tarptent Squall 2 I bought back in December 2005), having found that the SMD Lunar Solo is just too small with not enough ventilation for me plus my 80-lb. dog for long trips in inclement weather. However, I plan to get a Gossamer Gear Squall Classic when they start making them again, so that will get me back to where I started from, although much lighter in the wallet.

I've gone through my gear list several times looking for ounces or even fractions of ounces to pare. I have found quite a few, and they do add up.

The biggest adjustments affect skin-out weight, not pack weight--I finally made the shift from boots to trail runners. I haven't completely tested these out yet, but so far, so good. I also found some "mid" hikers (i.e. just over the ankle) that fit and are not Goretex lined (I hate Goretex--once Goretex-lined footwear gets wet, it takes days to dry) that weigh the same as the Montrail Hardrocks I'm currently using. So whichever footwear I end up with, I've cut over a pound off my feet! I also bought a lighter pair of trekking poles. I realized that I had enough duct tape (wrapped around the poles) to tape down the whole wilderness, so I cut that by more than half. I don't need a 3.5 oz. headlamp for summer backpacks when I'm in bed and asleep before dark, so I'm getting a Petzl e+Light. In spring and fall when the days are shorter, I take shorter trips so the heavier headlamp will go with me then.

I've also been working on my clothing. The lighter socks with the trail runners help, as do using a lighter base layer and using the base layer top as my hiking shirt.

I'm continuing to refine and cut back on things like toilet articles and first aid. Taking two week-long trips last summer really helped. I made careful note of anything left over (like half a 1-oz. bottle of hand sanitizer) so I can calculate the amounts more accurately in the future. Interestingly, I calculated the food exactly right for those two trips. On previous trips, I just couldn't eat all the dinner so had to haul out a lot of wet garbage.

Another possibility is the upcoming much-ballyhooed Thermarest NeoAir. If it works for me, it will cut 1/2 lb. from my sleep system. I already tried the Big Agnes Clearview in an attempt to lighten up, but with 8 tubes instead of the 6 on my current POE insulated air pad, it is effectively thinner. I couldn't achieve a happy medium between having it soft enough not to create sore hip bones from the pad surface and having my hip bones hit the ground. I spent two very uncomfortable nights with it. I suspect that mine won't be the only body lying on the floor at REI when the NeoAir reaches the market! I'm not going to spend that much money, if it isn't at least as comfortable as my current pad.

I'm looking forward to hearing what everyone else is doing--hopefully you'll give me some more ideas!