It's a good time to review how we did in our efforts to lighten our load, lesson our impact, and improve our experience last year.

What were your biggest gains in gear and lessons learned on the trails in 2008?

What was the coolest piece of new gear you got or would have wanted to use?

What could you have done better?

--

I've only been a member here for less than two years now but I've learned a lot here about getting lighter in that time. Acting on some of what I've learned I managed to make some real gains this year.

I got a hammock and used it with a light plastic table cover as a tarp and lost several pounds off my pack.

I got a Katadyn Hiker filter and carried less water.

I made a "Pop Can" stove and lost close to a pound.

I refined my gear list and changed the clothes I brought.

I brought more dehydrated food.

For the first time I got my pack weight down to around 20lbs (less food, water, fuel) and I only spent around $100 on new gear. (Actually much less, the Byer hammock was a gift and the water filter cost was split with my son-in-law).

I still took more food than I needed, not enough water, and carried some things I didn't use or really need. But I did a lot better as a result of what I've learned here and didn't miss anything I didn't take while I was out in the forests.

This year I think I might give trekking poles a try. I've been a "Hiking Stick Only" snob for a long time now and I've never even tried trekking poles. (Maybe I'll ease into it by starting out with a two shorter, thinner, sticks smile

Bill