I suspect the only tangible result of allowing people to carry guns in national parks is that a few bears will be killed needlessly.

Your probably right. I sometimes carry but don't have a permit. I don't think that a permit makes you responsible. It's like driving. Many people can drive and have a license to do so. But, I'll only get in a car with certain people. I used to hunt and was raised around firearms and shot for sport and fun. So I think I have a reasonable respect for them. I've also had enough high performance driving schools to qualify to be a driving instructor. But I refused to teach driving because I refuse to get in a very fast car with a newbie. One fast mistake could be fatal. The limited training that someone not familier with firearms has to take to get a permit is in it self dangerous. A person wanting to get a permit and carry should have more experience and the verve and responsible attidude to posess such a dangerous tool. Yes, in the woods they might kill or mame an animal. In the jungle some call cities, they can get their piece taken from them or "accidentialy" shoot themselfs or loved ones.