The 4-layer system is good. I like my DriClime jacket over my base layer, but my lovely wife wears a Marmot Sharp Point soft shell jacket over a base layer or a microfleece zip tee in the same weather. She also really likes her Ibex soft shell pants for hiking in any weather below about 50F. Below freezing she puts on a set of lightweight wool long john bottoms underneath.

If the weather turns ugly, you'll be glad you have a rain shell and rain pants with you. The Precip is fine.

Your dealer is right -- no down clothing while hiking. Not unless you are climbing Everest or similar. That said, having a down or synthetic puffy jacket to put on when you stop for lunch is really nice -- it'll be much warmer than the fleece layer.

I'm generally warmer than my wife, so my winter layers are: (torso): wool long john top, Driclime jacket, down jacket (on breaks only), rain shell; (legs): wool long john bottoms, hiking shorts, rain shell pants, with fleece leggings to put on in camp under my rain shell pants.

Does that help?