I too am in need of some help with this particular situation. I was trying on an Arcteryx Alpha SV and I was telling the shop keeper that I'm interested in doing winter mountaineering. I was with my girlfriend at the time and she said to me "I didn't know that. Take me with you." Her birthday is in January so I thought I could order her an Alpha SV jacket too. But I got to thinking. For the price of 1 jacket I could probably load her up with an entire set up. So after a couple days of reading the forums from here and other sites I think I've narrowed down what I want to get her. But I'm not sure if it is appropriate for the activities that we will be doing. So I'm asking for some suggestions.

What we plan on doing is probably some day hiking in the mountains in winter (and other seasons). Nothing major. No snow. Day trips. Would only be going out if the weather was nice. Then possibly doing some snow shoeing once we get more experience. Eventually we would like to go winter camping.

From what I've read it seems most people go with 4 layers. Is this going to be appropriate for what my girlfriend and I are aiming for?
Core
Base Layer - Patagonia Cap 2
Insulating Layer - Patagonia R2
Wind Layer - Marmot Driclime Windshirt
Softshell - Marmot Precip Jacket

Legs
Base - Patagonia Cap 2
Insultating Layer - This is what I'm most having problems with. A lot of what I read was discussing core layering and not really leg layering. Perhaps some fleece pants? Any suggestions? Brands?
Softshell - Marmot Precip Pants

One thing the store keeper was saying was that down isn't really good to wear when you are active. "When you are active you want to be wearing something like fleece. When you stop, you put on your down." I've also read that a couple times in other forums. Any thoughts on this? Be they anecdotal or otherwise?

Also another concern I have is if the capilene 2 is going to be enough? I was thinking if I get her cap 2 we could also use it for the other seasons. But is it going to be warm enough?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions and help.

Edited by MrZeroPing (12/26/08 04:14 AM)