Thank you Tom. I joined yesterday, then realized they don't have an area for California. I read the thread on winter boots, that went on for a bit. looks like my old Sorels are what they preferred to use. I like good gear, so what applies in Canada would work for me. My hands and feet get cold early. Ever try to pee with cold hands? You can't get a grip on the zipper to pull it down, that is the easy part, you have to pull it back up, that takes more effort.

On my really cold weather trips, I know it is cold when my nose hairs get stiff. It is at least in the low single digits then. From experience. Luckily, it only gets below zero here occasionally, then only stays that cold for a day or two. I have to camp in the Truckee area for sub zero temps. About due to go again.

Only in the low 30's here yesterday, trace of snow a little after dark last night. The woodstove feels real good this morning. Should be cold enough this next week where I will have to light my furnace to keep the pipes from freezing while I am at work next week. It's been nice to not have it going to save money. Plugged in a light bulb in my pump house to keep it warm too. I found a plug that turns on at 38, so my light isn't on all the time, in case it warms up. A good feature if used in a house, if neighbors are watching a house and a light turns on, it lerts them that there is no heat in the house.