I am a gun owner and I sometimes take a gun into the woods with me. Most of the problems with the human animal occur within a short distance of the trailhead as those that cause trouble usually don't travel far from the comfort of their vehicle. I have never had need of a gun in the outback so it just depends on the location that I am going into if I carry a gun or not. I was in the military for 11-years, I have a NATO-Secret security clearance, I was a licensed security officer for two years, a volunteer fireman for @ two years, I am an Eagle Scout and a Vigil Honor member of the Order of the Arrow...and currently a Scoutmaster. I have been handling guns almost all of my life but I know many people with qualifications the same, or even better than mine that SHOULD NOT have a gun.
I fully believe in the Second Amendment and I feel that I have a right to carry a gun...I earned it. Plus, so many people before me gave up their lives so that I have the right. There are just some times and places that a gun isn't needed, but I AM the one who should be able to make THAT DECISION for MYSELF.
Eagle Scout - BSA /
Vigil Honor - Order of the Arrow