Quote:
I never heard about having your guns broken down being ok in federal parks. I thought all guns except for LEO were forbidden.

I ran into that this year at Big Bend N.P. When I checked in, the ranger asked if we had any firearms, and if so, they must be unloaded, broken down, and stored in the trunk (i drive a 4runner...no trunk....but i didn't have a gun anyway). I think the idea is designed for people passing through in their RV's going cross country.

oldneez said:
Quote:
I have a concealed carry permit and have never carried in a national park, because it's against the law.

Exactly. You are a law abiding citizen. All the data (see my link way up there somewhere) about crime and CHL holders shows them to be extra-law abiding, and I believe that data helped in the National Park decision. When I took my CHL class, I was quite impressed by the mix of people in the class and the overall good will. We all had to pass two background checks, get fingerprinted, pass a shooting test, then a written test. It took almost 6 months for the process to be completed. There were a couple of people culled out of the class due to past legal issues, one child support delinquency and one outstanding traffic warrant. Everyone walked out educated and warned of consequences. Unlike a typical street thug that bought a stolen gun and hijacks cars....but that street thug who preys on easy prey, now knows the prey isn't as easy as it once was.

TomD said:
Quote:
LA is infamous for road rage and car to car shootings, so being allowed to carry a weapon in the car would be a bad idea here. You'd have a lot of people up-armoring their cars if they could afford it. It would be like driving around Baghdad.

Yup, LA is always in the movies and cop shows. In 1998, Texas decided to go the Concealed Handgun License route. There was huge outrage that our streets would become battle grounds. The opposite happened....crime dropped. The number 1 opponent of the law is now a supporter, after the data started rolling in. I originally opposed the law and I'm a hunter since grade school.
The majority of cops here like the idea.....i was told to get licensed by a cop, and my instructor was a cop and retired chief. I believe the law is probably as close to the essence of the 2nd Amendment as we've ever gotten.
I think the difference is "law abiding" vs. "law breaking" people with regard to any crime, in parks or elsewhere.