TomD,
I believe the two incidents you refer to regarding vigilante justice were not performed by CHL individuals. If I am mistaken, I will gladly stand corrected. As Dryer points out, CHL folks are by and large ultra-conservative in their use of fire arms.

The one thing that is not total clear in this ruling is reciprocity. Texas has agreements with several other states regarding CHL. They way I read this that it is only in that state (e.g. Grand Canyon would only accept Arizona, Davy Crockett NF in Texas would only accept Texas).

I would prefer that if I had a CHL in Texas, I could legally carry in any national park or forest where that state has a reciprocity agreement with Texas (e.g Oklahoma, Louisiana, New Mexico). Of course, it might be a moot point if I could get a CHL from Arizona just based on my CHL from Texas and a background check. Heck, I'd even take a rules/regulation test from AZ if they would accept my training hours and shooting scores from TX. I'm just using AZ as an example. This could be with any state.

Just my $0.02.

Tango