Quote:
Quote:
Tom,
those mountaineering tents you describe, like ID, Bibler, BD, Hilleberg, and others, are they also ok in summer? I'm curious because I want to get my daughter into winter camping, and if I can't talk my wife into letting her bivy and tarp it like I do, maybe a tent we can both use year round. Are they too heavy or expensive to justify using them in summer?

So is a 4 season tent really for four seasons, or just for one?

I'm not Tom but I did research and pick a 4-season tent, more for the ferocious winds of the Colorado Plateau than for snow conditions. We have had 3- season tents pretzel in those winds that seem to always be present in spring and fall as well as winter.

I settled on a Hilleberg Kaitum 3, relatively light for a 4-season tent but not so when I compare it to my Tarptent Squall II. The Kaitum 3 is not only a roomy fortress that we can sit up in anywhere in the tent but it can be ventilated so well that it can be used in warm weather too. It has two doors which can be fully opened but closed to flying insects with the screen panels. Both vestibules can be opened up. It is quite versatile.

We are being hit with 70 mph wind in this image but you really can't tell it from the picture. The tent was not noisy like I thought it would be in those kinds of wind as you can tighten it up at each stake with adjusters.

Here is a picture of the flow through ventilation doors that are open but screened off, the vestibule partially open. The inner tent toggles to the canopy as does the footprint so you set the entire thing up all at once, keeping everything below the main canopy dry in rain.

The tent has already paid for itself by letting us go into places and conditions that we might not have been able to do as well without it. I have a lot of confidence in this shelter. It has earned the name the Hilleberg Hilton, backcountry resort.

You just have to decide for yourself if something like this will meet your needs.

At Moontrail, they furnish different angle pics how all the Hilleberg tents look like.

b.gin